Sunday, March 20, 2005

Hip Hop started in 1971

Well I'm sure many musical historians would argue different dates. But according to DJ Grandmaster Flash hip hop started in 1971. How do I know this? Cuz I saw him last night!!!! Imagine that, seeing a living legend perform at one of Singapore's most well known night clubs, Zouks. And let me say he didn't dissapoint. I can honestly say I have never seen or experienced a better DJ performance than last night. He played a good mix of old school hip-hop songs(rapper's delight, it takes 2, Run DMC, MJ) along with alot of current club anthems (ie In da club, Love like this (Crooklyn Clan Rmx), Yeah!). So it's not like he played songs that nobody had heard. What I loved though was the way he worked the crowd. I think that's what makes the difference between a good DJ and a LEGEND. He just did a great job of getting everybody hyped up and continously dancing. It was a great night and in the words of his trademark phrase, "I was there"!!! Here are some photos that my friend snapped.








Below isn't DJ G-F, but his apprentice DJ Demo, who is pretty good in his own right. A couple of my friends (Ira and Gaya) actually managed to meet him after the show!!!

3 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Rohit said...

I wonder if Flash ever freestyles in a Tuk-Tuk.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey nell here. rem me? ntu student in singapore. wow its nice to read abt ur adventures here. zouk is fun, bt nt on a wed nite i tellya haha. if u lk hiphop, u can try cheeky's at mh sultan. anyhow, call me when u guys party, wld lk to know u guys who'r on exchange. its always nice sharing our experiences. nell_huang@hotmail.com

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ravi the website is lookin great!!...

how r things in singapoor

from anjali (littlest sis)!!!1!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home